Thursday 14 March 2013

WE'RE IN CANADA ! Holding the maple leaves of different sizes which is Canada's symbol as shown on its flag. This was taken at the US-Canada border by my good friend Ernie Uy a couple of days after we landed on June 25, 2012. (L-R): Our 17 yr old son Chiboy, my wife Olivet, me, and our then 18 yr old daughter Nickole.
We're in CANADA!  Wow, dream come true! Twelve years in the making to be exact and we're finally here. It was worth the wait though. It was in the year 2000 when my wife and I began dreaming the Canadian Dream. The kids were ages 5 and 7 then. The dream was on and off and even taking a very long journey. Coming from Camarin, Caloocan City where the kids grew up, we then lived in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for 5 years beginning in 2006 to save for our show money.
                                                                                                                                                           While seriously preparing for migration to Canada in 2010, my wife and I were looking for a website where we could learn more about life in Canada as narrated by Pinoy immigrants themselves. Sadly, we could not find from the existing websites enough information that will answer our queries on several topics. We wanted to read stories from fellow Pinoys. Kuwento ng Pinoy sa Canada. Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. There was none. Thus after 8 months of living here, I thought of making a website or blog that will give a wealth of information to our Kababayans who are now desiring and preparing to migrate here.

With my friend and officemate in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Alan Raagas and his wife Eileen with kids 7 yr old Elijah and 4 yr old Euan. They landed here in Vancouver on February 24, 2013,  just about 3 weeks ago as of this writing. They are now settled in Calgary, Alberta. They wanted to see Vancouver first before proceeding to Calgary so they stayed with us (sa kuwarto ng mga bata) for four days then I toured them around Vancouver. I have only one wish for their kids, that they still remember how to speak Tagalog many years from now. I just noticed that many Fil-Canadian kids here in Canada no longer speak our native language. However, many of them can still understand or grasp Tagalog when oldies speak to them but could no longer speak the language. A simple wish from Tito Denick.
Many thanks to my friend and former officemate in Riyadh, Engr. Alan Raagas, and his wife Eileen for encouraging me to share my experiences as a new immigrant through blogging. Both of them know that I really get so passionate when sharing experiences and information about Canada in my Facebook postings. Ang tiyaga ko raw magkuwento. Qualities of a true blogger they said. Thank you for that. I do hope I have those qualities.

At the Waterfront in Downtown Vancouver sometime in July 2012. Behind us, you can see West Vancouver from afar.
So today, March 14, 2013, marks the day when our website FILIPINO IMMIGRANTS IN CANADA is born. Our website address goes by the name     pinoyimmigrantsincanada.blogspot.com   I said "our" because this website is a family affair. I have my wife and children to help me with the articles we're going to post here. My children will be my videographer, photographer, and website designer. The wife proofreads and comments on the contents. Expect lots of photos and videos in this blog. I will be inviting friends and Kabayans here to share their stories too for everyone's appreciation. I will also feature here our Kabayans from different fields or professions. Ang dami non. I will interview Pinoy nurses, dentists, dental technicians, physiotherapists, doctors, psychologists, electricians, accountants, architects, engineers, chefs, managers, insurance advisors, social workers, real estate agents, businessmen, and more. It's gonna be a busy year interviewing our Kababayans. So this is life in Canada, BUHAY CANADA, as narrated by your Kapamilya, Kapatid, at Kapuso.
                                                                                                                                                    

7 comments:

  1. What can I say.....CONGRATULATIONS! and Welcome to blogging. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ka Denick, congratz! Makakatulong ka na at masaya ka pa sa ginagawa mo... para sa yo tlaga ang blogging. Malay mo dito ka yumaman ng husto. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maraming salamat Eileen at Alan. Thanks for the kind words. Well, it's now written here, kayo ang nag-inspire sa akin to go into blogging. You're right, I do enjoy blogging. Similar to Facebook but blogging has a much wider audience. Ayun nga, my purpose really is to better inform our Kababayans who are preparing to immigrate here. Walang ganitong website akong nakita noon. Nasa introduction pa lang ako halos but later I'll go into details like jobs, education, cost of living, schooling for our kids, weather, housing, etc. Our "Canadian Dreamers" will learn from the experiences of Pinoys here whom I'll interview later. BUHAY CANADA mula sa pananaw ng mga Fil-Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sir denick! sobra akong natuwa sa ginawa mo. i wana be a blogger too kaso walang time din. palakuento din kse ako. nwys, God bless po s inyo na makatulong din sa Canadian Dream na inaasan namen. hope magkitakita tau in person and ul meet my family as well. il keep track on ur canadian adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lil Messenger of GOD, sorry I just saw your comment today. I'm still learning how to blog. Buti na lang at nadito palagi ang ang daughter ko to help me on the details of blogging. Sige, just keep track of my blogs about Buhay Canada. I'll see to it that I have a new blog every week to help our Kabayans who are planning to migrate here. I'll be featuring a lot of things about Canada in my next blogs. Bale ngayon ay nasa introduction pa lang ako. Keep that Canadian Dream alive, it's worth all the effort. Canada is a beautiful country to raise your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story was quite a journey Sir :) kudos to you and your family for living up your dream to be in Canada. Your blog is an inspiration and wealth of info for future immigrants like me. I hope you get time to post more tips and way of life in Canada so that Pinoys back home who are currently processing their applications, will have a first-hand idea coming from a Kababayan. More power!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete