Saturday 16 March 2013

Why Vancouver, British Columbia?
When we were seriously filling out the application forms as required by the Canadian Immigration, there was a space there that we've got to answer definitely. It was "destination" in Canada. My choices were Toronto and Vancouver, Toronto being the center of Architecture in Canada. I thought if we land there, I'll be able to practice my profession, or something in line with it. But my wife said, "Naku, baka mamatay ako sa lamig doon" (I might freeze to death.) You know when we were filling out those forms middle of 2011, I was 49 and she was 47. Not so young anymore that made us very sensitive to cold. So alright, I'll give way. I encoded on my application form "Vancouver, BC".

Downtown Vancouver by night. The blue lighted stadium provides an interesting focal point for photographers and a visual delight for romantic promenaders and bikers as well.

Waterfront in Vancouver, BC.
My wife Olivet and daughter Nickole at Waterfront near the Yatch Club in Vancouver, BC.
Camping at Golden Ears Nature Park in Maple Ridge,BC.

 I went to ask my old friend from way back during my youth days in Marikina, Metro Manila, Ernie Uy, who I learned is in Vancouver with his family since year 2000. On Facebook, Ernie narrated to me how beautiful this city is, once lauded as "The Most Beautiful Place on Earth". Wow! I thought. If there's paradise on earth, this must be it. He told me that Vancouver has plenty of nature parks where we could even go camping on weekends. He said that if I'm a nature lover, Vancouver is it.

Walking at Watershed Park in North Delta, BC, a 10 minute drive from where we live.
 Climate-wise, he said that Vancouver has the most temperate climate of all Canada. Para lang daw Baguio pag summer and it has the shortest winter in the country. While my wife and I were reading Ernie's messages on Facebook, the more we got excited.

With my son Chiboy playing with all-terrain bikes at Red Sand in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 2010.
 We were in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for 5 years where the temperature at its peak during the hottest months of June and July reaches 50 degrees Celsius. Inside the car that was parked under the sun, the tempe- rature reading could even reach 60 to 65 degrees Celsius. You'll feel like a chicken shawarma being roasted round and round the oven. Puede kang magprito ng itlog sa hood ng kotse. ( You can fry an egg on the car's hood.)  He said that my family will surely enjoy the cool weather of Vancouver. Well, it was my desire way way back to live and work in Baguio City in Northern Philippines for its cool weather but my wife won't agree having lived there for 4 years as a college student. She said that when calamities strike the Pines City, it becomes isolated from the rest of Luzon and it was very difficult. So when Ernie said that living in Vancouver will remind me of Baguio City, the more I felt like flying to Vancouver the soonest.
             
  On the day of our arrival on June 25, 2012 at the Vancouver International Airport. (L-R): Ernie Uy, his wife Bing Uy, my wife Olivet, me, my daughter Nickole, and my son Chiboy.
 
Camping at Golden Ears Nature Park in Maple Ridge, BC.
This is Watershed Park in North Delta, BC. It is just a 10 minute drive from where we live. A source of water for 5% of water needs for North Delta. A favorite park for joggers, hikers, and bikers. It does remind me of Camp John Hay in Baguio City, Benguet, Philippines with those tall and slender pine trees.
Berry picking at Krause Berry Farm in Langley, BC. Tourists gather strawberries while a horse-drawn "calesa" carrying tourists pass by them. That calesa ride takes about 20 minutes around the farm.
Picking blueberries and raspberries. You work hard for 5 days and unwind with your family in weekend fun activities like this during summer.

 
(Photos shown here on our website are all "originals". I have collected hundreds of photos taken by my Nikon D90 camera from June 25, 2012 and up to the present.) 

12 comments:

  1. Wow sir..hopefully soon makarating din kami jan!!as of now sir na bc kmi sa pag complete ng requirements,,sna maging ok ang lhat..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang daming requirements,hehehehe,hoping na sana makapasa kmi!as I browsed ur pics sir feeling ko natotour u na me jan sa area nyo!!hehehehe!!any way sir thank u po sa website na 2 kc it really help..sna po sir d kayo mag sawa sa kakasagot sa mga tanong namin!!heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Leslie, salamat at nagustuhan mo itong blog ko. I'm still learning how to blog kaya ngayon ko lang nakita itong comments mo. From time to time, I ask my daughter to help me on the details of blogging. Bale introduction pa lang ang first 9 blogs ko. I'll see to it that I have a new blog every week that will give new info to Canadian Dreamers like you. Next week I'll interview Fil-Canadian Architects here at the UAP Vancouver Chapter Induction Program. Tyagain nyo lang ni James ang requirements. It's definitely worth the effort. Canada is exciting! You'll soon have the chance to live in a first world country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,sir u know what da way u answer my questions tlganag nakakainspire and nakakalift ung spirit,ur always giving us hope and assurance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir how about po pla ung police clearance principal applicant lng po ba ang kukuha?tapos po sir ung job description po b kailangan certify ng boss nya d2?as much as possible kc ayaw pa namin malaman ng company na my balak kmi na mag migrate!!ano po gnawa nyo noon sir?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Leslie, I can empathize with you and James because we were in the same boat as you before. When my wife and I were preparing the so many required documents in the middle of 2011, there were times too that we found the preparation too tedious. Grabe sa dami ng requirements. Tapos pag kinukuwentuhan na kami sa FB message ng friend ko dito na si Ernie Uy (He's in my 2nd blog) about Canada, natatanggal ang anxieties namin ni Misis. How he described the advantages of living in a first-world country inspired us to move forward, not backward. We thought, if we really wanted a better future for our teenage kids, then we have to patiently prepare all the required documents. Eh ayun na nga, nakuha sa tiyaga. That's why I want to reciprocate what Ernie has done to us by way of a website like this that can be read by aspiring immigrants, both Pinoys and other nationalities. Kaya itong usapan natin, mababasa nila. Pag Tagalog na, they'll have to consult a Pinoy to translate it to them. Ha! Ha! Primarily para sa Pinoy kasi itong website na 'to. Somehow yung blogs ko naman ay 98% English. Ito lang replies ang nagta-Tagalog na ako para mabilis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About your question on police clearance, in 2011, both my wife and I got police clearances. My advice is, better get them for both of you. Puede na kayong magsabay para isang lakad na lang. In one day ay kaya nyong matapos ang process, the most is 2 days. First, we requested letter of endorsement from the companies we were working for. Tell your companies that you are applying for police clearances. If I remember it right, the letter from the sponsor or company is addressed to the Philippine Embassy. Then go to the Philippine Embassy for authentication at about SR 100 per person. Together with the authentication yata is an endorsement naman from the Philippine Embassy to the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It took us 3 hrs at the embassy. At the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you'll pay something like SR30 or 40 per person. Mabilis lang sa Min. of Foreign Affairs, about 15 minutes. Tapos non tumuloy na kami sa Police Department dyan sa may Dirah after sallah ng tanghali. It took us yata more than an hour. Sa women's section ay mabilis at konti lang ang kumukuha. Matagal sa men's section dahil sa dami ng applicants. Bale fingerprinting doon and picture taking. Wala nang bayad sa police sa pagkakaalala ko. Then we were given claim stubs. Nakasulat doon in Arabic ang date of release ng police clearance. It takes usually one week for the release. Be sure you have xerox copies of your passports, iqamas, and other documents. You must also be ready with extra copies of passport-sized photos. Pag nakuha nyo na ang police clearance after a week, you have to bring them to translation offices there for translation to English. Then these translated police clearances will have to be mailed by DHL to the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines upon the instruction of your immigration consultancy agent which is CIC. I think police clearances have one year validity. You really have to be patient with the process Leslie and James. It's all worth it though. Both of you are young and have in-demand professions here. Imagine living in a beautiful first-class country that can give you all the freedom that is sorely missing there in Saudi Arabia. I was there alone for 4 years and 4 years with my family so I know where I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. About the Detailed Job Description or DJD, I am not sure if both of us were required to submit them. I'm gonna ask my wife about it later tonight. Better ask Miss Jaycel of CIC if it is required for both spouses or just the principal applicant. What I heard is that the IELTS exam is now required for both spouses. At any rate, better prepare DJDs for both of you since both of your professions are in the priority list, as Nurse and Architect. In the event that your sponsor or company does not want to issue a new format of Cetificate of Employment just like the format of DJD that Canadian Immigration wants, an "affidavit" will have to be executed. According to our agent CIC, Canada understands the difficulty of obtaining documents in Saudi Arabia which are against the established norms in Saudi offices, thus the affidavit. Miss Jaycel will send you a sample of an affidavit. Meron din ako, I just have to look for them and email them to you.
    You mentioned that you intend to make your Canadian move privy for now. Ako naman, when I requested for a Certificate of Employment from our company, hindi ko na itinago coz alam kong malalaman din later. They even asked me to make a draft for them at pipirmahan na lang nila. What Saudi companies worry is that you may use the certificate in applying to other companies. Kaya para wala silang duda, I wrote in the draft "This certification is issued for immigration purposes as required by the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines". Kaya binibiro na ako noon sa opisina na "Canadian Boy". Ha!Ha!Ha! Kaya both Saudis and Pinoys were asking me why I have to migrate to Canada. Sabi ko palagi, "I just want to grab the opportunity now while it is there and find out what life is in Canada". Sabi ko pa,"I hope I still have a place here in the office if I decide later to come back". Eh kunwari na lang yon. Ha!Ha! Deep inside I was thinking then, na sawang-sawa na ako sa kulay beige at brown na lang ang nakikita sa mga pictures namin sa Facebook, kulay ng disyerto. Walong taon sa Saudi, tama na yon. Maiba-iba naman. Just the other week, I asked my teen-age kids what they really prefer, Saudi or Canada. Sabi nila pareho, "Siyempre Canada!". May exclamation mark pa. I'm 50 now and my wife 49. Somehow, we have reached some level of success in our professions na hindi na ikahihiya 'ika nga. Pagbigyan naman ang mga bata. We believe that they can compete here in Canada in their chosen fields soon after they graduate from Canadian universities. Para sa kanila talaga itong Canadian move namin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie, nadito pala sa blog na ito ang friend ko na si Ernie Uy with his wife Bing. Sila ang sumundo sa amin sa airport. It's really a great advantage if you have a friend or relative who will make "alalay" when you arrive. Mas madaling mag-adjust sa Buhay Canada pag may nakaalalay. We'll forever be grateful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg sir,we have a long way 2 go tlga!!heheheheehehehe!!!dpo ba pwd na sa pinas nalnag kmi kuha ng police clearance?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advantages of living in a first world country inspire us 2 move 4ward (wow sir very well said)...requirements,processing and money plus patience demands as to pursue our canadian dream..nakakapressure,nakakadepress nakakabaliw,hehehehehe,samahan pa ng 55 degress na temperature d2,heheheheh..but da way u encourage us relieved ol those stressors!!hehehehe...ang hirap sir pero as I go through this procedures 2matatak sakin ung mga words of hope and assurance,and priviledge 2 live in a first world country..sna hnd kmi sumuko!!hehehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leslie, hindi puede yung police clearance sa Pilipinas kasi ang required ay yung latest country of residence nyo which is Saudi Arabia. Ang alam ko nga nyan, if you lived in another country in the past, you will also be required to get a police clearance from that country. Nagagawa naman yan through embassies. Canada is really beautiful especially Vancouver. Mahirap ang processing ng visa application at mahirap din sa first year pag nadito na kayo pero just like any other immigrant na dumadaan sa adjustment period, nakakasurvive naman. Families who came before us have their own houses now and are all doing well. So tiyaga lang talaga at diskarte. Positive mental attitude. There will be people around you who will discourage you from reaching your goal of migrating to Canada. The truth is, ayaw lang nilang maiwan sa Riyadh. Nakakasawa na di ba ang puro na lang Red Sand at Batha ang makikita nyo. Time to level up.

    ReplyDelete